Students on CEFR levels B1. Students of all programmes and faculties, students in the flexible study rights scheme (JOO), international students, non-university learners. Completely fulfils the foreign language requirement in the degree.
After completing KK-KII204 Intermediate Chinese 4 (3cr) course.
After completing the course, students are expected to be able to:
- Master around 200 Chinese characters
- Master around 600 Chinese words in HSK5 standard
- Learn around 30 new grammar points.
- Understand short passages closely related to culture, history, science, social activities.
- Know the differences between many Chinese synonyms.
- Take part in conversations about familiar topics.
- Write short passages in a standard conventional format to give adequate information and express personal preference and views.
- Know some Chinese traditional and modern culture.
- Enhance the skill of listening comprehension.
This is a multi-modal course with 40 contact hours, 14 hours online learning (on the 4th 8th 12th 16th 20th 24th 28th class), 54 hours of independent work. To complete the course at least 75% active participation in the course and completion of the agreed tasks by the deadline is required. To pass the course you need to deliver required presentation, do home assignments, take quizzes, mid-term exam and final exam of the course.
Starting level approximately CEFR B1. If you are uncertain about your CEFR level, contact the teacher before signing up.
Completed KK-KII204 Intermediate Chinese 4, ALKU-C509 Upper Intermediate Chinese or have a command of some 1000 words and certain amount of grammar knowledge.
- Learn 3 units (chapters 1-3) of the textbook, topics including: Understanding life, Talking about the past and the present, Listening to stories and anecdotes.
- Master around 600 common Chinese words towards proficiency in the four skills areas.
- Communicate with others in the workplace or in social activities and take part in simple conversations or express personal views with clarity.
- Read simple textual materials related to topics.
- Write short passages to convey or give adequate information.
|Study materials and literature
HSK Standard Course 5 (volume 1) Textbook + workbook [Author: Jiang Liping]. The books can be bought at the Confucius Institute at the beginning of the course.
Other reading, watching and listening materials prepared by the teacher.
|Assessment practices and criteria
Assessment is based on the aspects mentioned under the course learning outcomes and consists of assignments, participation and performance in classroom activities, presentation and the final exam.
The course is graded as pass/fail.
Language Centre Chinese courses are offered in cooperation with the Confucius Institute at the University of Helsinki. https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/confucius-institute
|Relations to other study units
After this course you can take KK-KII302 Advanced Chinese 2 (4cr) course.