Students of all programmes and faculties, students in the flexible study rights scheme (JOO), international students.
After completing the course, students are expected to be able to:
1. use pinyin to pronounce Chinese
2. learn around 120 Chinese words related to daily life
3. communicate with people on some basic topics like greeting, profession, family, food, weather, date and time, etc.
4. recognize around 100 Chinese characters and its strokes and structures
5. use the basic Chinese grammar and structures.
This is a contact learning course with 28 contact hours and 26 hours of independent work. To complete the course at least 75% active participation in the course and completion of the agreed tasks by the deadline is required.
No previous studies needed.
Phonetics: 21 initials and 36 finals
Topics: introductions, nationalities, family members, pets, date, etc.
- interrogative pronouns, such as “shenme, shui, na, zenme, duoshao, zenmeyang”
- interrogative particles, such as “ma, ne, ba”
- model verbs “hui”and “xiang, neng”
- measure words “ge, kou”
- special sentence structures, such as adjectival predicate, nominal predicate.
|Study materials and literature
HSK Standard Course 1, textbook + workbook Jiang Liping, 2014, 2nd edition, ISBN 978-5619-3709-9
The books can be bought at the Confucius Institute at the beginning of the course.
|Assessment practices and criteria
Assessment is based on the aspects mentioned under the course learning outcomes and consists of assignments, participation and performance in classroom activities, presentation and the final exam.
The course is graded as pass/fail.
Language Centre Chinese courses are offered in cooperation with the Confucius Institute at the University of Helsinki. https://www.helsinki.fi/en/networks/confucius-institute
|Relations to other study units
After this course, you can take KK-KII002 Elementary Chinese 2 (3 cr).