- Bachelor of languages, elective course in the common course block
- available to students from other degree programmes
- autumn term, period I or II
After completing the course, you will be able to
- name techniques for encoding language
- manipulate text and other linguistic data sets
- summarise the main principles of applications that involve language technology such as tools for spelling correction, grammar checking, language learning, information retrieval, text classification, dialog systems and machine translation
- use basic command-line tools in a Unix environment
- carry-out a small empirical study on real-world data.
- online course
- individual reading and online exercises
- possible contact teaching in the form of lectures, lab sessions and tutorials
- may include online exams, peer-reviewed tests, quizzes and writing of a term paper.
|Tidigare studier eller kunskaper
No specific pre-requisites.
|Rekommenderade valfria studier
Introduction to linguistics and phonetics.
The course provides an introduction to practical language technology including
- Technology for encoding languages
- Basic text processing tools
- Spelling correction and grammar checking
- Computer-aided language learning
- Information retrieval and text classification
- Dialog systems and automatic question answering
- Machine translation
The course also provides information of tools and interfaces that support linguistic research and practical applications including a brief introduction to Unix environments and command-line tools.
|Studiematerial och litteratur
- Markus Dickinson, Chris Brew and Detmar Meurers. Language and computers. Wiley-Blackwell, 2013
- additional reading and online material.
|Aktiviteter och undervisningsmetoder som stöder lärandet
- lectures featuring guest speakers
- online reading material, videos, quizzes
- optional lab sessions and tutorials supporting the practical assignments
- individual project work
- peer support (discussion forum, F.A.Q.)
- documentation of activities via Moodle
- regular course feedback
|Bedömningsmetoder och kriterier
- online exercises including weekly quizzes and practical assignments
- final individual project
- standard grading scale (0–5).