LDA-T3104 Language Technology Seminar, 5 cr
||Language Technology Seminar
||Can be taken more than once||no
||Master’s programme Linguistic Diversity in the Digital Age
The course belongs to the MA Programme Linguistic Diversity in the Digital Age
- study track: language technology
- modules: Studies in Language Technology (LDA-T3100)
This is a compulsory course.
The course is not available to students from other study tracks and degree programmes.
It is recommended to take this course in year 2, semester 4 (spring term). The seminar is offered once every year during the spring term in periods III and IV.
After successfully completing the seminar, you are able to
- design, plan and coordinate an individual research projects with clearly identified research questions
- search for relevant background literature
- critically review and analyse scientific publications
- orally present scientific work of international scholars and of your own
- write publications according to scientific standards
- defend your work in front of peers and academic researchers
- carry out scientific work in relation to specific research questions.
- active participation in the seminar
- peer review and feedback (either written or oral or both, for example in terms of acting as opponent during discussions and presentations)
- seminar presentations according to the setup of the seminar
- final project report or master's thesis.
- compulsory courses in the language technology study track
|Recommended optional studies
- optional courses in language technology
The seminar consists of group meetings where we discuss
- research questions and your selection of a project
- relevant background literature
- scientific work and writing with focus on the master's thesis
- progress in individual projects
- results and outcomes of individual projects.
During the seminar, students also take part in the HowULearn questionnaire aimed at MA students.
|Study materials and literature
Literature and material will be listed at the beginning of the seminar and additional material will be given throughout the course.
|Activities and teaching methods in support of learning
Activities comprise mainly interactive seminars and discussions but may also include group work and individual meetings. Further activities may be organised according to the needs of the individual projects coordinated by the supervisors and seminar teacher.
|Assessment practices and criteria
Grading: Pass / Fail.
The following aspects are taken into account in grading
- Performance and activity in the seminar
- Independence of the work and the ability to plan and carry out scientific research
- Ability to review and discuss external work and work by peers
- Quality of the presentations and the final report.
Current and future instruction
|Language Technology Seminar
|04.09.19 -16.10.19 ||wed 10.15-11.45|
|30.10.19 -11.12.19 ||wed 10.15-11.45|
|15.01.20 -26.02.20 ||wed 10.15-11.45|
|11.03.20 -08.04.20 ||wed 10.15-11.45|
|No examinations in WebOodi|